Friday, June 17, 2016

Hammer Time

So for a long time… With many starts and stops I’ve tried to put old columns together and piece together a book… I’ve even written about those efforts here… Yes, they are stopped again…

Stopped again… Maybe each time for the same reason… They weren’t saying what I wanted to say… Well, at least not “cutting to the chase” as fast as I would have liked… Oh yes, eventually they may have told the story… Maybe… Maybe it would have been missed??? Maybe eventually they’ll finally make it into a book??? Maybe it’ll finally be made into a movie???

Maybe this column will finally put into words what I have wanted to say all along… Hopefully it’ll make the book that much easier to write… The message will have already been said…

There’s a saying that the “Lessons in life will be repeated until they are learned”. 



Maybe… Just maybe I’ve finally learned what the lessons (over and over) had been trying to tell me for so long…

I worked a long time at jobs filled with unhealthy hours and stress… Unhappy while doing it… But doing what I thought I was “supposed” to do…

The only ones benefiting from those efforts being those who in the end gave no damn about me… Except when it was time to ask again… “What are you going to do for me today???”

Each time I would finally put my foot down to end the drama and to ask “What about what I want??? I would become the bad guy…

Repeatedly making bad choices in people to trust… Repeatedly trying to “earn love”… I’ll probably be faulted for quoting some scripture here… But I never said there isn’t any wisdom to be found there… 

As a matter of fact, this bit of wisdom is found twice in the Book of Proverbs… Proverbs 21:9 and 25:24

“Better to live on a corner of the roof
    than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Just wish I hadn’t been repeatedly fooled by those pretending not to fit the description…  

Repeatedly, repeating the lesson… Until it was learned… I’ve experienced lots of loss in this life… All those years of work with little to nothing material to show for my efforts…

It’s safe to say the lesson will not need to be repeated again… The lesson??? What’s important??? 

I finally have it figured out… And I’m living it now…

Living “small” now with the boys for the last two years, mostly out of my RV… Stress and drama free with an abundance of wisdom, better health, love, quality relationships not built on what someone can get from me, adventure, insight and freedom…

I’ll dip into the scripture bag one more time… Proverbs 15:17

“Better a small serving of vegetables with love
    than a fattened calf with hatred.

The Universe was trying to teach me this for a long time…. And yes, many of those old columns would have rehashed the lessons… But not moved me past them…


Yes, sometimes we just need to be hit in the head repeatedly with a bigger and bigger hammer until the lesson sinks in… Okay, I get it now…

No comments:

Post a Comment