Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Directory Assistance

Waking from a 1hr power nap… A beautiful breeze blowing through the RV… The sky is a cloudless blue… The sun is bright but thanks to the breeze the temperature is comfortable…

I take a moment to remember where I am and what day it is… It’s a different life now… No time tables and schedules to adhere to… No rats to race in the maze of someone else’s idea of how life should be lived… Life is much better when there’s “No Vacation Necessary”…

A new life, a new phone, a new number… Annoyed last week when the old phone finally gave up its ghost… It’s a metaphor now for the life changes of the last two years…

Completely losing my old contact list… It’s been replaced by a much smaller list of only the important ones… Adding possibly the most important one yesterday… My best friend of 45yrs… A call to directory assistance leading to a surprise conversation… His home number unlisted… The only listing, his mom’s… The delightful conversation that followed leaving me with a warm spot in my heart and Paul’s home number…

Yes, the call that followed to Paul was almost as nice…    

The boys and I are still camped at the Ramona, CA VFW… I’m working there every morning in exchange for the electric hook up… The sense of community is strong here… It’s a “Where everyone knows your name” kind of place…  

The boys and I have been welcomed with open arms… The boys working the parking lot everyday greeting the regulars…

With the RV batteries on the charger… I had walked to and from the bank and supermarket yesterday… Today we drove to the laundromat… See the associated Facebook post… 


At tonight’s VFW post meeting we’ll be picking a date for a comedy show here next month… Tomorrow I’ll start working on material for the show and looking for an MC and Feature act…


If timed right with our next travels… I’m hoping to parley it into a comedy tour of VFW posts… Thanks for reading… 

3 comments:

  1. Great update. Did you live in Ramona while on the Gurnard? i recall you riding your motorcycle form Escondido area and freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in San Marcos which is west of Escondido... Ramona is east of Escondido... Farther inland and higher elevation... Still having cool nights/mornings here... But beautiful days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Ben Acosta, ET was from San Marcos? Remember him?

    ReplyDelete