Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Answer

Sitting by the campfire feeling a bit like Jim Morrison… At least The Doors are echoing in my ears…

So who cares what the question is… Camping is the answer… We have been on the road since Monday afternoon… I’ll only count Monday night in the RV park as half the answer, since we slept with all the windows wide open…

Last night we couldn’t do that as the sun went down so did the temperature in the mountains of northern Oregon… But the answer is complete…

I love this life… Off Grid Freedom… Last night as I crawled into bed… I was more relaxed than I have been in a long time… No tension knots… My back completely relaxed and pain free… No tossing and turning… Waking up in the same place I fell asleep… Alive and invigorated…

A campfire this morning, coffee and bacon… A hike and a swim for the boys… Lunch… A nap… And two mile walk down the road to fill some water jugs with a smile on my face…

Dinner… Chicken, carrots with butter and brown sugar… A bottle of water… Tonight’s campfire is burning when I finish this… I’ll throw another chunk of wood on it and open a Mason Jar of Apple Pie Moonshine…

I would live every day like this and never miss anything left behind… I know I missed this… Off Grid Camping alone with the boys… I never feel alone… Many times in the city I could not say the same thing…

For now, though tomorrow we will head to a KOA in Leavenworth, WA to work camp for the summer… It’s a small compromise… We aren’t alone in the mountains, but we will be “camping”...

We’ll follow the seasons and the sun... With the plan to be full time Off Grid Campers in two years or less… Still following the seasons and the sun…  
I wanted to say more… But I think I have said enough… Time to sit by the fire… So I will leave you with this…


“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms.” 
 
Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment